 Robotics / RCX / pbFORTH / 68
FW: New pbFORTH
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth
Date:
Tue, 11 May 1999 16:36:47 GMT

-----Original Message-----
From: Ralph Hempel [mailto:rhempel@bmts.com]
Sent: Friday, May 07, 1999 12:10 PM
To: robots@jpsc.co.uk
Subject: RE: New pbFORTH

I find kids pick up basic FORTH concepts faster than adults...

I hadn't come across that. I found my 10 year old son (who technically
owns half of our MindStorms) found the LEGO RIS block software easy to
understand, and he produced a couple of programs, but the limitations on
programming and the non-immediacy of interaction of the robot meant that
he dropped it pretty quickly and now concentrates on the mechanical side.
I hadn't even considered showing him FORTH because of the convoluted
process involved in getting it into the RCX.

True enough, but MARKER should make it easy for him once the software is in
the RCX, right?

Have you considered getting him into FORTH using the hFORTH system on your PC first?
Try to see if he can get his head around the concept of a stack and some basic
manipulations. Better yet, if you have an HP calculator, see if he can
figure it out there first...

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

Indside of a dog, it's too dark to read...
Reply to:      rhempel at bmts dot com