 Robotics / RCX / pbFORTH / 503
Re: CPR for RCX?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth
Date:
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 00:50:04 GMT

Just because the LCD is blank does not mean that pbForth is not
running. When you power the RCX on and pbForth is the firmware,
the LCD is blanked.

   Thanks. Good to know.

If you DO need to remove the batteries, press the buttons
to cause the internal hold-up caps to drain, or you'll
need to wait a few minutes after removing the batteries
before the RCX is completely "clean"

   I'm familiar with that procedure, too. Thank goodness for the
'-firmfast' flag in NQC...

I do have another question, though (Oh, the joys of actually testing on
real hardware...)

1) When I load a program, does it become part of the resident memory of
the brick--that is, when I power cycle the brick (eg. send a "POWER_OFF"
command, and then bring it back to life), is my previous program still
there? Do I need to tell pbForth to "flush" the contents of memory?

2) I think, in my readings of ANS Forth, there were words to check how
much memory was available. I'll look them up when I get home, unless
someone wants to chime in with them. This may be related to my problems
with #1, though. That, and an overzealous "CREATE ALLOT" call that tried
to grab 32K...

3) When I'm sending a script (currently I'm using the Tcl/Tk
environment... I gave up guessing COM parameters for the brick in the
terminal emulator), occasionally I have code that causes pbForth to
poop. I then get an exciting string of errors about words not defined,
etc., on every line that follows. Unfortunately, after a 2K script
finishes dying on every line, I'm continue to get errors on every use of
'.', 'POWER_OFF', and any other word I try and send to the brick. This
makes it difficult to power the brick down; currently, I've simply
resorted to resending the firmware a lot...

Let it be noted that, despite these bits of confusion and setbacks, the
program

(begin (motor-set 5 1 0) (motor-set 5 1 2))

compiled, was sent to the brick, and caused it to immediately plough
into the tower. Don't worry, there were no minifigs present at the time,
and noone was hurt. :)

I'll make a full announcement regarding those funny parens later, when
everything is packaged up nicely. For the moment, the Forth crowd will
just have to wonder...

Thanks,

Matt