 Robotics / RCX / pbFORTH / 444
443  |  445
Subject:
problems with communications
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth
Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 18:57:08 GMT

I'm trying to get started with pbforth, but not finding it easy. While I
know no forth, I'm happy with RPN (long-time HP calculator user) and
stacks, dictionaries and defining words (ex-Postscript programmer). What
I'm struggling with is getting as far as programming it.

I have a pbforth downloaded within the last week from hempeldesigngroup. I
don't know what version that makes it. I've also got an old one that
responds to 'hi' and gives a version number, but the new one doesn't seem
to do that.

I've got as far as 2400 baud, 8 data, 1 stop, no parity, no handshaking.
That seems to work (teh only place I've found it documented is in
this newsgroup - under discussion of teh lego remote). I can type stuff
and get answers.

What doesn't seem to work for me is uploading files to teh RCX. My
development platform is a Psion palmtop (specifically 5mx), and the
terminal emulator on it doesn't have the option for end-of-line delays
when uploading files. If I send a file, I think it's sending data faster
than the RCX receives it. The pbforth site sort of says pbforth has
XON/XOFF handshaking, but if I enable that on my terminal emulator after a
while everything freezes (I assume something is waiting for a XON or a
XOFF).

so, my questions:
Should XON/XOFF handshaking work?

Is it a fault in the terminal emulator I'm using?

Any other comments (like, has anyone else used a Psion with pbforth and
uncovered some horrible incompatibility which means I should give up now)?

While I'm at it, can anyone suggest any tutorial stuff? typing 'forth'
into amazon.co.uk finds precisely one computer book (about embedded
systems programming in forth, but probably not what I want). Doing teh
same at amazon.com produces a longer list, but 90% seem to be out of
print, and the rest on 4-6 weeks delivery (which will be longer by the
time it crosses the Atlantic to me). I have a copy of ANSI X3.215-1994,
which contains a list of words. Thus far I've been using that and
trial-and-error, but it might not be the quickest or least painful way of
learning. Is there anything particularly suited to pbforth out there, or
should I just pick a general forth tutorial from a web search and see what
happens?

Thanks for any help.

regards,   Ian SMith
--