 Robotics / RCX / pbFORTH / 354
Re: Is there a compatible h8 assembler for forth words?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth
Date:
Sat, 20 May 2000 01:11:43 GMT

Ralph Hempel wrote:
From bitter experience, writing assembler stuff in Forth is generally
not worth it. I use Plaugher's rule:

Make it work, then make it fast.

A good rule. I just know I'm going to need fast so I am
planning ahead. Somehow I'm usually at the bleeding
edge of trying to squeeze everything possible out of
limited hardware.

I originally learned my Forth on a 68000 (Mac Forth on
the original 128k Mac.) I was already an experienced 68k
programmer at the time so when I had to drop into assembler
it wasn't such a bit problem. Of course I did make it work
first. And less than 10% of the words ended up in assembler.