 Robotics / RCX / pbFORTH / 347
Re: Help with Terminal Emulator
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth
Date:
Thu, 18 May 2000 03:33:42 GMT

Jerry Weinberg wrote:

I'm just getting started using pbForth, and I'm having trouble with the
terminal emulator echoing garbage on the screen with almost every key stroke.
I've tried all of the suggested terminal emulators with the same results,
including hyperterminal, CRT, and the recentl released TCL gui (rcxtk).

Any help would be appreciated,

A little more information please. Describe the sequence.
Start by taking a battery out for at least 10 second so
you know the RCX is in a known state. Then verify that
the config file is pointed to the right serial port. Then
try to download firmware normal mode. Then try a few
carridge returns and see if you get the ok prompt.

Make sure that the tower and RCX are very close, set to far,
facing each other and far from other surfaces that might be
reflecting IR. This IR system is pretty weak and easy
to confuse. In fact this is the most likely problem if
you sometimes get the right thing and sometimes get
garbage, especially if you get identical results with
different terminal emulators.

Consider starting with fresh batteries in both the tower
and the RCX.

Every time you make a new experiment start from pulling
out the batteries. I have gotten different results the
second time I tried to download firmware even though the
first try failed. Partially downloaded firmware changes
the state of the system in some way.

This level of paranoia won't be necessary once you get things
working but it reduces the variables while you are getting
started. I speak from experience. I had several things wrong
at different times, mixing IR problems with silly mistakes.

Then if things still don't work get back to us in detail
i.e. "First I took the batteries out ..." and we'll see if
we can suggest something.

Note: The doc doesn't say it but a terminal must be set to
2400,8,N,1 with both software and hardware handhake off.

Forgive me if I have suggested the obvious but I wanted the
list to be complete.

Good luck.