 Robotics / RCX / pbFORTH / 340
RE: New pbForth GUI
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth
Date:
Wed, 17 May 2000 13:08:20 GMT

Ok, Ok, I'm an idiot....this is such a polite group that no one ever says
RTFM ;>)  Well, you did Ralph, but very, very nicely....

This GUI works great in NT (NT4.0 SP3), with very little work (once you
start to think).

Download and unzip TclTk ( I used the default install path:
SystemRoot:\Program Files\Tcl).

Download and unzip the pbForth GUI into some directory (X:\Lego\pbForth)

Edit the shortcut "rcxtk.tcl" by right clicking on it...pick
properties....and change the target to match the install directory:
X:\Lego\pbForth\rcxtk.tcl   Edit the shortcut "Start in:" directory to
X:\Lego\pbForth

Edit the rcxoption.tcl file in Notepad (right click...edit).  Un-comment
(by removing the # ) the serial com port that your tower is attached to.
Comment out (by adding a # ) all other com ports.

That's it.

Take out the batteries from the brick, and push the start button.  That
should kill the existing firmware.  Put the batteries back in, turn on the
brick, point it at the tower.  Start the pbForth GUI by clicking the
shortcut, and go to the menu bar...pbforth...upload firmware.  Pick the
appropriate .srec file in the dialog box, and away you go.  You should see
the green light in the tower come on, and the brick start to count up to
about 1180 (using pbforth.srec).  Slow upload takes breaks at every
integral of twenty.  Fast upload zips up in about 15 seconds.  When
finished, you should see a "4th" on the LCD display of the brick.

All I had a chance to do was 1 2 DUP . . .  but that worked just fine.
I'll be reading the tutorial tonight.  This is really neat Ralph.  Thanks.

Now, about turning it off......;>)

Jeff
jeffrey.hazen@northmill.net