 Robotics / RCX / pbFORTH / 337
RE: New pbForth GUI
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2000 21:45:54 GMT

Jeff Hazen wote:

This is a great idea, Ralph.  I've wanted to just fool around in pbForth,
but have been intimidated by the apparent front-end learning curve.  I'm a
mechanical guy, I don't do TclTk, Gnu, etc.,  I've been spoiled by GUI
front ends and install programs.

Me too. I got tired of dinking around with HyperTerminal...

I'm not sure at all about an NT installation, so I'm hoping some others
will step in here...

Do I need to run Tcl, and then open your scripting files?  The only one
that opens (by itself) into anything other than a gray box is Rcxtk.tcl.
Am I missing a prerequisite bit of knowledge??

No, If you unzip the distribution, there should be a .lnk file which
shows up as a shortcut file. Right click on it and edit the program target
and startup directories to where you actually unzipped everything to.
Make sure it looks something like:

c:/some/silly/path/rcxtk.tcl

Then double click the short cut. If you have installed the Tcl self-extracting
binaries, it should launch the Tcl shell automagically.

On a different note, I just stopped using my WinCE machine, and got a
Handspring Visor (Palm Clone).  I put the Quartus Forth on it, and I've
been fooling around there.  Any luck or thoughts about using the ir port
for direct Rcx control?  From my reading of the user groups, it clearly
requires some very low level coding on the Palm.  Just curious.....

Once the dust settles here, I plan on a simple GUI for he Palm that
does exactly what the Tcl thing does on your desktop.

Please feed any bits of info on the NT installation to the
group. I did a quick google serch and came up with a few sites that had
giveio. I'm not even sure if it's needed. Please check out the FAQ at
Scriptics for more info on running Tcl under NT...

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbFORTH>
Reply to:      rhempel at bmts dot com