 Robotics / RCX / pbFORTH / 315
314  |  316
Subject:
Standard extension suggestions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth
Date:
Mon, 8 May 2000 15:32:36 GMT

I suggest that we collectively create a standard
extension package that makes life a little
simpler for beginners or maybe for developers
in general. I have already started what I would
use but it occured to me that this might be
of general value.

The basic idea is an idle task that monitors
the buttons and does things that more or less
model what the user is used to. The first
thing I am doing is monitoring the power
button, powering down and up, and modifying
the display to reflect the power status.

I will probably add a timeout to
help out on saving the batteries. Possibly
I will monitor the program and run buttons
allowing the user to select one of a set
of standard words. Viewing the sensors
might be a worthwhile addition.

This takes a little thought because I would
like this idle task to normally run in parallel
with the interpreter and be sensitive to it
but be easy to suppress for code which wants
to redefine the button behavior.

The standard firmware button handling is well
thought out and probably most people would be
happy to stay with it as a useful default.
If enough people found it useful we could
consider including it in pbmax.srec.

Reactions?