 Robotics / RCX / pbFORTH / 272
  RE: The pain of communicating with the RCX

(...) Good. I'm glad your on-side so far :-) (...) You are right. I have found that getting a reliable connection is very dependent on ambient light, the voltage of the RCX batteries, and the tower itself. Try to use the tower in NEAR mode so that (...) (25 years ago, 9-Mar-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  Re: The pain of communicating with the RCX

(...) Does that count as `tempted by the dark side' or `seen the light'? :) (...) itself. (...) I tried near and far mode, several distances, putting the tower and the RCX under a dark cloth... Everything I could think of except putting 'em where (...) (25 years ago, 9-Mar-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  RE: The pain of communicating with the RCX

(...) Depends on which side of the fence you are on... (...) Hmmm. This is not good. I have ghad very good success with CRT, but I'm going to try a more general solution with Tcl. (...) I stopped supporting it late last year because it only worked (...) (25 years ago, 9-Mar-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  Re: The pain of communicating with the RCX

On Thu, Mar 09, 2000 at 09:04:26PM +0000, Ralph Hempel wrote: [...On a TCL program to communicate with the RCX...] (...) Uploading srec files has been without problem for me; it's uploading text that's painful. Does your program uses some protocol (...) (25 years ago, 10-Mar-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  RE: The pain of communicating with the RCX

(...) That's because the SREC upload uses the native upload code in the RCX ROM. It works really well but has to send each byte as a pair with the bits inverted. Also the header and trailer have to be added. The result is that it would be impossible (...) (25 years ago, 10-Mar-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  Re: The pain of communicating with the RCX

(...) huh? Do you mean it just writes text to the RCX without any synchronization or checksums? Then how is it going to be an improvement over a plain ascii upload using e.g. ascii-xfr? (...) But then you can't use those constants (i.e the words, (...) (25 years ago, 10-Mar-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  RE: The pain of communicating with the RCX

(...) Yup. Remember that the Forth interpreter can't deal with text in special packets. It may be an improvement by limiting the time between characters. I think that ascii-xfr may dump chars without enough time between them... (...) If you use the (...) (25 years ago, 10-Mar-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)