 Robotics / RCX / pbFORTH / 272
RE: The pain of communicating with the RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth
Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 2000 18:37:44 GMT

The power of Forth lies in the ease with which a system can be built and
and tested both incrementally and interactively. Unfortunately I'm experiencing
severe difficulties estasblishing a reliable communication channel between my
PC (Linux) and the RCX (RIS 1.5). I'm hoping you people can help me (and
others) to annihilate those difficulties, so forth can be used the way it is
intended to, and not in a compile-with-as and download manner.

Good. I'm glad your on-side so far :-)

1) How do you ship forth code as text to the RCX? Downloading an srec file
is no problem, but when I try to do an ascii download, I always get some
communication failure somewhere. I tried increasing line and character
delays up to 200ms and 80ms resp., but although this made the problem less
frequent it did not cure it. When working interactively comm failures occur
too, but retyping a single line is not as annoying as trying to reload an
entire file. Deminishing file size helps a bit, but downloading a single
tiny file for every word is a pain.

You are right. I have found that getting a reliable connection is very
dependent on ambient light, the voltage of the RCX batteries, and the tower itself.

Try to use the tower in NEAR mode so that it does not swamp the RCX receiver.

I'm trying to get my Tcl GUI back in order so that we can all have a common
base to work with. There are so many comm programs out there that it
is difficult to get them all working.

2) How can I upload an augmented forth system from the RCX to my PC? I think
rx (=Receive X-Modem; from the lrzsz package) gets confused by the echo of
the IR tower: It reports an `025 received error'. This is a NAK in octal.
Presumably the very NAK rx has sent to initiate the transfer. I found
an old program called xcomm, which fares a little better. It downloads the
entire file, but reports a timeout in the end. When I try

: z S" Hello" ;
z X-SEND

and start the transfer by typing ^U, the header and string is transferred,
then a little pause occurs, and the checksum is sent. I don't see any 0s to
fill the block to 128 bytes. Doing "0 emit" doesn't give me a 0 either. This
explains the timeout error, but not why a 0 isn't transmitted. Does the IR
tower eat them?

This I'm not too sure about. I'll have to look at what the source code
does. It is getting more difficult to find an XMODEM program for all
three platforms, which is another reason for getting the Tcl script back up.

I'm suspecting the IR tower of subversive activities (see how guiltily it
blinks with its single green eye!), even more so because information gathered
on the web (in particular Kekoa Proudfoot's page) seems to indicate that it
was designed to handle only a very restrictive query-answer protocol. This
would mean every (few) character(s) should be wrapped in an IR-tower packet
which is subsequently transmitted. This requires of course special software
on both the PC and the forth side, so the simplicity of using just any
terminal emulator is gone:(

Yes and no. The first time you hit CR on your terminal, you get garbage
back from the tower. If the comm program is waiting too long before
retrying, it will always get junk back as the first few chars.

Has anybody more information on this, or maybe even (the beginning of) a
solution?

Not yet, but so far developing under Windows has not been too bad.....

Let me work on the TclTk script and keep everyone posted here.

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbFORTH>
Reply to:      rhempel at bmts dot com