 Robotics / RCX / pbFORTH / 274
RE: The pain of communicating with the RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth
Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 2000 21:04:26 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth, Ralph Hempel writes:
The power of Forth lies in the ease with which a system can be built and
Good. I'm glad your on-side so far :-)

Does that count as `tempted by the dark side' or `seen the light'? :)

Depends on which side of the fence you are on...

1) How do you ship forth code as text to the RCX? Downloading an srec file
You are right. I have found that getting a reliable connection is very
dependent on ambient light, the voltage of the RCX batteries, and the tower • itself.
Try to use the tower in NEAR mode so that it does not swamp the RCX receiver.

I tried near and far mode, several distances, putting the tower and the RCX
under a dark cloth... Everything I could think of except putting 'em where
the sun don't shine:)

Hmmm. This is not good. I have ghad very good success with CRT, but I'm
going to try a more general solution with Tcl.

I'm trying to get my Tcl GUI back in order so that we can all have a common
base to work with. There are so many comm programs out there that it
is difficult to get them all working.

I couldn't find it on the pbforth website. What exactly does it do? Anything
we can do to help developing it?

I stopped supporting it late last year because it only worked under Windows
and I wanted a cross-platform tool. Now I have Linux on my laptop and Win98
too. I bought an old Mac6100 to try the mac platform as well.

Basically, it grabs an srec file and makes a .img (true binary) file. It then
does the upload thing to the RCX. After that, it's also a terminal that lets
you talk to the RCX.

To make it really useful, I need to add a macro capability to translate
common words into constants, and add a little XMODEM protocol. Since the
original XMODEM checksum is easy to do on the RCX, an advanced scripting
language should be up to the task, right?

Part of the problem seems to be the variety in X-Modem flavours. Most modern
programs aren't too fond of the real X-Modem protocol, and expect some
newer version of it.

I hope that the Tcl script fixes this.

Not yet, but so far developing under Windows has not been too bad.....
Ah, but I don't have Windows and I'm not going to install it. Not even for
pbforth's sake:-)

I don't blame you. How are you finding pbForth developemnt otherwise? I'm
thinking of adding a direct link to the ROM math routines to improve the
math speed, as well as releasing the servo driver....

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbFORTH>
Reply to:      rhempel at bmts dot com