 Robotics / RCX / pbFORTH / 176
RE: Save image word for pbForth.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 14:10:23 GMT

I like the solution proposed by many Forht packages (by hForth in particular):
there is a basic kernel and a few different variations with optional wordsets.
For myself, I would like to see at least one additional variation to pbForth -
image which is includes all the optional words available in hForth package
(adaptable to RCX of course).
All the rest, as you said, up to the user. He can debug and work with "full"
version and then create his own image out of the "basic" version.

OhOh. Now you have got me thinking again. I can fix my make system to provide
images that have optional wordsets, double precision, floats, etc.

This is a good thing.

Portable enough to run on a PalmPilot? I doubt it. The big advantage of saving
an SREC file directly is that NO other tools are necessary. I'll dig around
for some old SREC code I have.

Does it exists, the XMODEM enabled terminal for PalmPilot?
Anyway I will also try to see how much it will cost. Sure, integrated solution
would be best. I also would like to see your code in case you will find it.

Check <http://www.tucows.com> and look in the PDA section. LOTS of free stuff
there. Even a Forth for the PalmPilot!!!

The record size in XMODEM is fixed, I see, so
we could just make the SRECORDs fixed length inside the XMODEM packet, right?

Yes, fixed size will help to make things simpler. I also hope it will enable
to not make intermediate buffer.

Yes, lets, keep in touch. I'm working on a "real" project this week, so my
Mindstorms is locked away...

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbFORTH>