 Robotics / RCX / pbFORTH / 173
Re: Save image word for pbForth.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth
Date:
Sun, 7 Nov 1999 20:18:31 GMT

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for words of cheers ;)

This is an EXCELLENT idea.  On an old project I used to work on, I actually
used an SREC dump routine, but here the tower would cause problems because
the PC would keep having to poll for addresses.

Using XMODEM transfer will work great because it is controlled by the master
which in this case is the PC!! Well done!

Exactly. My first attempt was to dump out the whole image and make terminal to
receive it as a textual file. Uh uh...

If you really think I should, I'll roll this into a new release....

Well, of course I would like to make it available for community. If you think
it will not contradict your own ideas, I would be just happy.

We can even go further. What do you think about packaging your pbForth with
all that optional words? Having SAVE-SYSTEM available, you can create few pre-
packaged images for different purposes. Of course, not all stuff can be used,
but things like vocabulary management, debugging, conditional compiling, etc.
would fit well. Actually, I have made few adaptations for myself. Maybe you
also have something?

Wait a minute, why not do an xmodem upload of an srec image....then the user
would not have to deal with installing cygwin tools on the MAC or linux
system...

Yes, I've considered it too. But then I decided to make things simple as
possible. Even now XMODEM code is quite big...
Do you think it will really help to make it on pbForth side?
As alternative, I can provide simple decoding utility written on something
portable.

-- Sergey