 Robotics / RCX / pbFORTH / 146
Re: Double echo
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 08:25:08 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth, Ralph Hempel writes:
Yes it's non-standard, but as long as it's documented, I think it's OK.
I would
suggest that instead of EMIT, we check the state of an ECHO_FLAG in ACCEPT.

I also think that standardisation is not a primary goal in our case ;)

I still can't see a real necessity to have it as switchable feature, but
having these ECHO_ON / ECHO_OFF available it's better then nothing. Would be
nice to have them in a new release too.

Yep. The stack is now in high memory and the boundary issue is gone. The image
is smaller too because of no stack in the image!

Good, back to the original implementation...
It was also my suggestion how to solve the problem.

I was thinking about adding words to control the upload baud rate, and • maybe
a little bit of info for the screen to let everyone know pbFORTH is alive!

Oops, this is exactly what I'm doing now. ;-)
My idea was to create some kind of monitor that could control On/Off
indication (LCD+sound) and battery indicator. I'm not sure yet about motor • and
sensors - it could require changes in RCX words… And also a question, is it
really necessary?

What do you mean?

One of my subprojects was to create some small application (I call it monitor)
that will behave as original RCX ROM software: display RCX state on the
screen, handle buttons, etc.
My idea was to create an alternative version of QUIT word that will also
handle some "monitoring" functions.

So, "violating" standard, we can include those changes in pbForth kernel, or
it could be an external extension that uses a 'boot vector, for instance.

Yes, combined efforts are needed. I'd still like to be the official source for
pbForth distributions - I'd be happy to integrate your changes into the • source.
I don't want to have too many versions floating around.

Sure, distributions should come only from one place.

There are no other changes to add yet. If somebody interested, I can show only
my yet another "fast" uploader (written in Java ;).

Best
Sergey