 Robotics / RCX / pbFORTH / 124
RE: Rotaion Sensor Sampling Speed?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth
Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 18:05:52 GMT

Ralph,
I don't know about the specific issues with pbForth, but this summer I
was working on a large gear train (for a problem that we have recently
"proven" is computationally intractable for the RCX) and dropped about 20
counts out of every 1,000 when I was running it at very high speed (say,
maybe 12,000 counts per minute.)* So, there should be no problem with the
speed.

If you are being jumpy, have you checked the raw values? Perhaps
with the axle being moved slightly up and down as well as being rotated,
slight transients are being generated, which are screwing up your count?

-Luis "bitterly frustrated at rotation sensors today" Villa

*125:1 gear ratio, 16 counts per rotation (2,000 counts per rotation of
the largest gear, then) and two half-rotations (to check for drops) in 10
seconds.

Well, I'd need to vibrate things while looking at raw values, which
is possible, I guess. I could run the gantry, smaple as long as
possible and then store the value in an array...

Something like:

CREATE BUFFER 5000 CELLS ALLOT ( makes room for 5000 smaples )

add code here to initialize sensors...

: TEST
START_MOTOR

5000 0 DO
  BEGIN 0 READ_SENSOR 0= UNTIL
  0 SENSOR_RAW I BUFFER + !
LOOP

STOP_MOTOR
;

Then I'd just need to dump successive values (if only the darned
tower wasn't narcoleptic...) and figure out if the transitions are smooth

Hmmm, maybe I'll try this later on today. Thanks

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbFORTH>
Reply to:      rhempel at bmts dot com