 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 953
Re: Anyone using Mac beige G3
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2001 22:41:19 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, Gerhard Weiss writes:
Kevin Hayes wrote:

Hi all,

I having trouble connecting a PowerMac G3 (beige model, 233MHz) to the
IR tower. I've tried NQC, MacNQC but keep getting "Error: no response
from IR tower". I've also tried ZTerm to see if I can get an echo back.

The Green LED in the tower lights up when trying to connect so I know I
can transmit properly, but it seems I can't receive.

I've heard reports of people using older Macs with NQC but nobody with a
beige G3. My QuickCam also no longer works in my beige G3 but did in
older Macs so I wonder if Apple changed the serial ports.

So, is anyone using a beige G3 with Mindstorms? If so, what
cables/adapters are you using?

Thanks,
Kevin

I've had similar problems with a CyberMaster. It seems that
CyberMaster Tower is powered by the serial interface (at least
it is switched on by this power). On PC, the DTR line is switched
high (12 V), and the CTS line is switched low (-12V). These lines
do no signaling, but just supply power. On a Mac, you can
have either DTR or CTS functionality, since there is only one
handshake line out. Since the HandShakeLine Out seems to be used
in DTR functionality (it goes to high, i.e. 4,5 V), I put the
CTS line at the DB9 connector to ground. Now available voltage
was only 4.5, but that seems to be enough. Unfortunatly,
the output line (transmit signal from tower device) has now
a swing of only 0 to 4.5 Volts, so it's no longer RS232
compatible. It helped here to leave the Rx+ line of the
Mac interface open. In this state it stabilizes itself to
2.2V- right in the middle of the available level - voila, here
we go!

Gerd.

One thing to keep in mind about Mac serial ports is that they are not RS-232,
rather they are RS-422. IIRC, RS-232 is a singled-ended voltage standard (ref to
ground only), where RS-422 is a differential standard. The 'common' method of
using one of the Rx pins for the serial out, is marginal at best.

Ray