 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 681
Re: Military (was Seeking Programming Assistance)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 20:52:54 GMT

In article <3972FA29.8002019B@idi.ntnu.no>, Pavel Petrovic
<petrovic@idi.ntnu.no> wrote:

It's a pitty that LEGO is used by military, i.e. by people who
are trained to kill other people...

Its a pity that the world is such that military force is required.
There's no shortage of people who will use violence to take your
freedoms or life.  Defending those freedoms requires a willingness to
use force.  Note I say "willingness"...that doesn't mean that every
"wrong" should be responded to by forceful retailiation, but that
military action should be one of the available tools.  Some of the other
tools, such as economic boycott, are less directly violent, but still
require a willingness to use force in order to back it up.

While it is certainly true that military forces have been misused at
times, I can't believe the answer is "no military", or that an effective
military force should not be trained to kill.  The goal should be wise
and enlightened use of military force - not elimination of it.

I, for one, am deeply grateful of the fact that others in my country are
willing to put their own life at risk to defend my freedoms.  They
should be praised rather than denegrated.

Dave

p.s.  I'm sure my answer is very "US-centric", but that's probably
justified - at least in part - considering the original post was from
someone in the US military.

--
reply to: dbaum at enteract dot com