 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 518
Re: NQC and RIS2.0 Firmware
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Sun, 2 Apr 2000 03:25:24 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In article <dbaum-8E73D6.20462201042000@lugnet.com>, Dave Baum
<dbaum@spambgoneenteract.com> wrote:

In article <38E68D9E.71063F04@akasa.bc.ca>, Dean Husby
<nntp@akasa.bc.ca> wrote:

I've tried using the Download firmware option of NQC for downloading the
new firmware.

Unfortunately it downloads to about 2489 and then errors out.

I found the problem...

When verifying the checksum, the ROM scans [8000, cc00).  Since it zeros
out this area initially, this would indeed reflect the checksum of the
firmware, provided it is less than 4400 bytes long (in hex).

NQC sums the entire firmware file, thus the reason checksum was failing
for firm0321.lgo.

I probably won't release a new version of NQC until I have alpha level
support for RCX 2.0 in general, but I don't want to leave people stuck,
either.  In the meantime...

1) If you use Windows, just stick with Lego's firmware downloader for
now.

2) If you use Linux, consider building from the sources and making the
following change:

File: rcx/RCX_Link.cpp

Method: RCX_Result RCX_Link::_SendFirmware(const UByte *data, int
length, int start, bool progress)

Change line

   for(int i=0; i<length; i++)

   for(int i=0; i<length && i<0x4c00; i++)

I suggest using the 2.1 r1 sources since the r2 sources don't do fast
firmware very well.  r2 sources will still download ok...just not in
fast mode.

3) If you use a Mac (and can't use VPC for option 1), let me know.  I
could make an alpha release of either MPW NQC or MacNQC...but I'd prefer
not to release both at this point.

Dave Baum

--
reply to: dbaum at enteract dot com