 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 517
Re: NQC and RIS2.0 Firmware
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Sun, 2 Apr 2000 02:46:22 GMT

In article <38E68D9E.71063F04@akasa.bc.ca>, Dean Husby
<nntp@akasa.bc.ca> wrote:

I've tried using the Download firmware option of NQC for downloading the
new firmware.

Unfortunately it downloads to about 2489 and then errors out.

I've been looking at that for most of today.  The 2489 is basically the
last packet to go to the RCX, and the error is a "checksum error" coming
back from the RCX.

As far as I can tell, nqc breaks with any firmware file bigger than 20K
(actually the limit is somewhere between 19,500 and 20,000).  I'm not
sure why, though.  I can't see any bugs in the protocol, and things
proceed very smoothly until the very last packet, which always indicates
a "checksum error".  I'm starting to suspect a problem with the RCX ROMs.

Incidentally, there's a bug in NQC 2.1 r2 that prevents fast firmware
downloading from working.  Stick with 2.1 r1 for fast firmware download
for now.

Will Dave Baum be supporting this 'first release' of the firmware or
will he be waiting for the 'final release'?

I'll try to support it as fast as I can.  A lot of the new opcodes
already are in the Scout, so mostly I just have to create another
"target" for RCX2.

The firmware problem bugs me, though.  I'll have to keep working on it.

The file size of the new firmware disturbs me a little.

Me too.  New firmware is 24896 bytes long.  Quite a jump from the 16384
bytes for the original version.  However, some of the new functions look
pretty good, and you can't expect something for nothing.  I just hope
there's adequate free space for user programs and datalogs.

Dave Baum

--
reply to: dbaum at enteract dot com