 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 368
    offtopicy sort of thing —Leonard Stiles
   Ok, so it's nothing to do with nqc and not much to do with mindstorms, but here's a nice bit of elementary physics I came across while playing with my RIS: Take two 9v dc lego motors like the ones you got with the RCX. Stick something, a wheel or a (...) (24 years ago, 12-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

        Re: offtopicy sort of thing —Joshua Foster
     I think that's a really good idea. I tried it, and found out that the motor recieving power spins slower than the motor you spin. This is about 4:3. This could be a really good speed reduction technique that doesn't use gears, or you could power (...) (24 years ago, 13-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

         Re: offtopicy sort of thing —Matthew Miller
      (...) It's offtopic in .nqc, but not in lugnet.robotics in general. (24 years ago, 13-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

         Re: offtopicy sort of thing —Filip Verhaeghe
     According to that elementary physics, you are converting power into heat as part of this process. Usually, when downgearing an engine, the intention is to have more power at the slower speed (for better climbing, lifting, etc.). This will not be the (...) (24 years ago, 14-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

        Re: offtopicy sort of thing —Cameron Hayne
   (...) I was just trying out having 4 motors to power 4 wheels (one per wheel) and I saw this effect. I had the two motors on the right side both attached to output A and the two motors on the left side both attached to input C. But now I am worried (...) (24 years ago, 18-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

        Re: offtopicy sort of thing —Robert G. Fay
   I parallel two motors frequently with no ill effects. There is no generation taking place. It will use more battery current for the two motors than it would for one, but it is also doing more work. -- Bob Fay rfay@we.mediaone.net The Shop (URL) (...) (24 years ago, 18-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)