 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 1804
1803  |  1805
Subject:
IR-based proximity measurement
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Fri, 16 Sep 2005 07:03:06 GMT

I'm changing the subject line in the middle of the thread. Wonder what the
server will do with that...

I tried out Brian's "Max-picking" ping method, as well as a few other things.
Here's a summary of what I found:

1) If the active sensor readings are averaged to improve the signal to noise
ratio, then using SendSerial() to send 16 continuous bytes of 1's through the IR
Comm port works better than using SendMessage to only send one byte. Not too
surprising. I reckon the SNR is around 2-4 at best, using any of the averaging
methods I tried.

2) If Max-picking is used instead of averaging, the SNR gets (finally!)
adequately high, around 7-8 depending on how you eyeball it. This is a really
great idea, and the more I think about it the more I appreciate why it works so
well in this situation. My calibration code beeps with a pitch proportional to
the estimate of proximity, and I can pretty much tell how far away from the wall
the bot is just by listening.

I put the code and some calibration figures here, if anyone's interested:

http://www.physiology.wisc.edu/jones/robotics/proximity/SerialPing.nqc
http://www.physiology.wisc.edu/jones/robotics/proximity/SendMessagePingAvg.jpeg
http://www.physiology.wisc.edu/jones/robotics/proximity/SendSerialPingAvg.jpeg
http://www.physiology.wisc.edu/jones/robotics/proximity/SendMessagePingMax.jpeg