 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 1670
1669  |  1671
Subject:
BricxCC & downloading NQC programs failing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Sun, 11 Apr 2004 14:43:59 GMT

I have heard from a user of BricxCC who has been experiencing the

"compile failed: no (or bad) reply from RCX"

(or words to that effect) error message when trying to download pretty much any
NQC program either using BricxCC or using NQC directly from the command prompt.
I believe all the users who have emailed or posted about this problem are using
the USB tower.  I could never replicate the problem on my development PC so it I
had not yet managed to figure out the exact cause of the problem.

But the email I just got said that this user was able to fix the problem by
adjusting the timeout values of the USB Tower using the LEGO USB Tower control
panel applet.  He wrote:

  Write timeout from 200 to 400 msec
  Read timeout from 200 to 400 msec
  Read timeout (intercharacter) from 100 to 200 msec
   ....... and everything now works!

If you have had problems downloading NQC programs using BricxCC with the USB
tower you may want to try adjusting these three timeout values.  Depending on
your PC you may need to use different values than the ones which worked for the
user who figured out this issue for me.

John Hansen