 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 1600
1599  |  1601
Subject:
...2 years later... :-) (was: newbie again part 2)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Thu, 8 Jan 2004 22:48:41 GMT

Hello All,

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, Dave Baum wrote (almost two years ago, Thu, 17 Jan
2002 00:34:56 GMT -- your words are cherished, Dave! :-):

Actually, I wouldn't recommend using the simulator. • [...]
the simulator is only really useful
if you are a Java programmer and want to tinker around with it a bit.

Well, I am not (yet) a Java programmer, but try to become one, and would like to
see pbsim in action once, just for the heck of it :-)

So I am tinkering, but RCXTest even for the simplest 1-liner abc.rcx (e.g. just
one Wait statement) gives me the message "Error: could not read RCX program from
abc.rcx". (The .rcx file is in the same directory as RCXTest.class).

If I compile with "nqc -1 abc.nqc", the _compiler_ already complains that e.g.
"Wait" or "OnFwd" are undefined. Did the old NQC really not have Wait and OnFwd
etc.?

So, before I delve deeper into this (and get lost), I wonder: Will a new NQC
compiler (2.5.2.3), with or without the "-1" option, at all produce .rcx code
which the old pbsim can still understand, or have the versions diverged too far
perhaps?

Or am I being misled by these messages?
Any other reason why the .rcx file cannot be read? Another one of the famous
Java path hassles perhaps?

If the combo of NQC 2.5.2.3 and pbsim 1.0.a2 indeed _should_ work, I'll tinker
on...

Thanks for all hints!

Cheers,
Martin