 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 1379
Re: RIS 2.0 or 1.5 (minimum requirements)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 17:30:46 GMT

Thank you for the answer, but:

Do you have any idea whether my system (366 Mhz PII notebook, 64 MB RAM, but
only 2.5 MB Video RAM - where LEGO states 4 MB as necessary) could run the
original LEGO 2.0 software?

Dirk Schlei

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, Dave Baum writes:
The 2.0 firmware is available separately from LEGO as part of the 2.0
SDK.  You can use this firmware with a 1.5 set (or even a 1.0 set).  If
you are not planning on using the Lego software then the only difference
between 2.0 and 1.5 is that 2.0 has a USB tower, 1.5 has an RS-232
tower.  IMHO, the RS-232 tower is more flexible since no special drivers
are required.  On the down side, it needs a battery and the USB one
doesn't.

If you stick with the 1.5 set, you won't need to install any lego
software on your PC.

If you get 2.0 then I think you'll need to install the 2.0 software in
order to get the USB driver installed.  Perhaps there is a clever hack
to just install the USB driver, but I'm not much of a Windows expert.

If you don't mind putting a 9V battery in the IR tower and you have a
free COM port, then I'd go with 1.5.

Dave Baum