 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 1378
Re: RIS 2.0 or 1.5 (minimum requirements)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 00:32:36 GMT

The 2.0 firmware is available separately from LEGO as part of the 2.0
SDK.  You can use this firmware with a 1.5 set (or even a 1.0 set).  If
you are not planning on using the Lego software then the only difference
between 2.0 and 1.5 is that 2.0 has a USB tower, 1.5 has an RS-232
tower.  IMHO, the RS-232 tower is more flexible since no special drivers
are required.  On the down side, it needs a battery and the USB one
doesn't.

If you stick with the 1.5 set, you won't need to install any lego
software on your PC.

If you get 2.0 then I think you'll need to install the 2.0 software in
order to get the USB driver installed.  Perhaps there is a clever hack
to just install the USB driver, but I'm not much of a Windows expert.

If you don't mind putting a 9V battery in the IR tower and you have a
free COM port, then I'd go with 1.5.

Dave Baum

In article <GtA7ry.8qF@lugnet.com>,
"Dirk Schlei" <dirk.schlei@epost.de> wrote:

I am going to buy the RIS 2.0, but I am not quite sure if I should better
buy the RIS 1.5. That is, because my notebook (366 Mhz
PII, 64 MB RAM, but only 2.5 MB Video RAM) does not fully meet the minimum
requirements as stated by LEGO (what is confusing is that LEGO sometimes
says that 1 MB Video RAM is sufficient):

Actually, I do not want to install the LEGO RIS 2.0 software, because I want
to program in NQC only.

As stated on Dave Baum's homepage, I have to install the RCX 2.0 firmware to
run NQC. Therefore, I have got the RCX 2.0 Beta SDK. But, additionally it
says: "... you will need to install the RIS software
and run it once with the USB tower connected in order for the driver to
be correctly installed."

My questions are as follows: Should I buy the RIS 2.0 and can I install/run
the RIS 2.0 software? If I can not install/run the RIS 2.0 software: Is it
really necessary to install it to get NQC and the USB tower work?