 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 1300
Re: Some remarks / questions about Brixcc
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 12:46:12 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, Dave Baum writes:
Error messages go to one of two places.  Errors from the compiler
default to stderr but can be redirected with the -E option (-Efoo would
sent them to a file named "foo").  Other errors (problem communicating
with the RCX, illegal command line, etc) go to stdout under Windows and
stderr on other platforms.

If there's a consensus that stderr is always a bad choice under Windows,
I'll change the compiler to default to stdout for its error messages
under Windows (but still redirectable with the -E option).

Sorry about the mixup.  I thought I'd tried capturing non-compiler errors
with a redirect and it hadn't worked.  But trying it just now it definitely
does work.  BricxCC is already capturing the compiler errors via the -E
option.  I am trying to get it to correctly report other errors such as "out
of memory", etc...  For now I'll see about having it capture the output and
check for a -1 exit code.

Since you provide a redirect option for the output normally sent to stderr I
don't think it's a problem to leave it writing to stderr.

Thanks again.

John Hansen
http://members.aol.com/johnbinder/bricxcc.htm