 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 1298
Re: Some remarks / questions about Brixcc
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 02:13:19 GMT

In article <Gpxqy2.9D3@lugnet.com>, "John Hansen" <JohnBinder@aol.com>
wrote:

The next release of BricxCC will check the exit code that NQC reports.
If
it is less than zero then BricxCC will report an error.  Unfortunately,
NQC
currently only reports 0 or -1 where -1 indicates an unspecified error.
Also, the text NQC outputs is to stderr which cannot be redirected to a
file.

Error messages go to one of two places.  Errors from the compiler
default to stderr but can be redirected with the -E option (-Efoo would
sent them to a file named "foo").  Other errors (problem communicating
with the RCX, illegal command line, etc) go to stdout under Windows and
stderr on other platforms.

If there's a consensus that stderr is always a bad choice under Windows,
I'll change the compiler to default to stdout for its error messages
under Windows (but still redirectable with the -E option).

If the main routine in nqc.cpp did this

return result;

instead of

return RCX_ERROR(result) ? -1 : 0;

actually it needs to do:

return RCX_ERROR(result) ? result : 0;

because positive numbers are valid return codes for certain operations,
but would potentially confuse calling programs that expected 0 to mean
success.  I changed the source already, I'm not sure when it will get
released.

Dave Baum

--
reply to: dbaum at enteract dot com