 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 1297
Re: Some remarks / questions about Brixcc
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 15:56:26 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, Stef Mientki writes:
1. "Watching the Brick" only polls when the window has focus.

I'll make this an option on the Watch window in the next release.  Another
user had requested that the Watch window only Poll when it was active.

2. "Direct control" it seems that the combo-box of the sensor mode is
shifted 1 position: boolean -> raw,  percentage -> count, etc.

This turned out to be a bug in the TFakeSpirit.SetSensorMode function.  It
will be fixed in the next release.

3. I'm now playing with music and like to run (from Brixcc) some
wave2nqc and midi2nqc programs.

I'll work on adding a configurable section on the Tools menu ala Delphi
(probably not in the next release).

4. I'm continuously losing windows, I can't find them.

I am not inclined to make the tool windows dockable because of their many
different sizes.  The buttons on the Tools toolbar always show the window
(as opposed to toggling its visibility).  This was designed to aid the user
in locating "lost" windows.  Personally, I've never had a problem finding my
windows.  Has anyone else had a significant problem in this regard?

1. when loading a large program, Brixcc gives an error message  "Program
execution timed out, try ..", although the downloading still continues and
will finish correctly.

When the timeout expires, previous versions of BricxCC were not terminating
the NQC process.  In the next release I will terminate the NQC process if
the timeout expires.

2. when downloading an even larger program (probably too large for the RCX),
the program is ready very fast, and it even says "program correctly compiled
and downloaded"

The next release of BricxCC will check the exit code that NQC reports.  If
it is less than zero then BricxCC will report an error.  Unfortunately, NQC
currently only reports 0 or -1 where -1 indicates an unspecified error.
Also, the text NQC outputs is to stderr which cannot be redirected to a file.

If the main routine in nqc.cpp did this

return result;

instead of

return RCX_ERROR(result) ? -1 : 0;

then I think it would be easy for BricxCC (or other programs that interface
with NQC) to report a more detailed error message.

Thanks,

John Hansen