 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 1263
Re: BricxCC release 3.3.2.12
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 15:26:51 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, Guido Heunen writes:
Just a comment on my request. Your idea seems OK. However, this means you
need two read two files. If I would have a look into my old.nqc file two
months later I would see directly what settings where supposed to be used
(brick, com, etc..). With your idea I need to open as well the .sdk file....
Well, I agree, the easiest is for now better....:)

I guess I don't see so close a tie between the NQC code in a .NQC file and
the brick type, port number, and program slot.  A program running on RCX in
slot 3 downloaded via COM4 could just as well run on an RCX2 in slot 1
downloaded via USB2.  It may also run fine on a Scout, no program slot,
downloaded via COM1.

I think that there would be no harm in me adding a feature that would
generate a comment block at the top of the current NQC file showing the
brick type, port number/type, and program slot.  This comment would be for
the reading pleasure of a human being only.  I'm imagining a menu
item/toolbar button/hotkey that inserts a "unit header", as it were,
containing this sort of information.

Using this information, a user can appropriately manually set the brick
type, port settings, and program slot before they select the Download
action.  And, with the DSK file idea those settings may be automatically
recalled if the user turns on the "Save Desktop" option on the preferences
dialog.

How does that sound?

John Hansen