 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 106
Re: decoding a message sent by an RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Sat, 4 Sep 1999 01:27:58 GMT

In article <FHHqAK.J6J@lugnet.com>, "Dennis Clark" <dlc@verinet.com> wrote:

hiya,

I have been working on an idea to extend the number and type of devices that
the RCX can control.  I started with the idea of encoding serial data on one of
the motor lines and decoding that in a PIC to do <stuff>.  However, because
working at the bit level in NQC is not possible it would mean that every
message would have to be built at compile time, ick.  Therefore, I have decided
that receiving a message over the IR from the RCX would be far more practical
from the RCX's point of view.  However I have a couple of questions for those
that know:

1. The crynwr page states that the serial format is :
NRZ, 1 start, 8 data, odd parity, 1 stop bit

I'm not used to seeing 8 bits with a parity bit, as a sanity check does this
mean that each byte is 11 bits (1 start, 8 data, 1 parity, 1 stop) - OR am I
misunderstanding this somehow.  Since the RCX can send 0-255 as messages, I
THINK that I'm correct.  Can someone set me straight on this?

Yes, you are correct - 11 bits total per byte.  And yes, this is very
non-standard.

I believe the signal is inverted - meaning that IR light is present for
"0" bits, and no light for "1" bits.  But I'm going from memory here and
haven't looked at it on a scope for a long time so I could be wrong.

Dave Baum

--
reply to: dbaum at enteract dot com