 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 1037
Re: Electrical Data Link between 2 RCXs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 22:49:58 GMT

Thanks for the info on the electric datalink.  It's a clever idea that I
never would have thought of myself.

It seems to me that you could cut down on your transmission time if you
changed the shape of your pulse train.  The pauses between bits don't convey
any intformation.  Instead of triggering your counter off a rising edge
(like a telagraph operator sending Morse code), try triggering off any edge.
This would change your message from (For a binary 9):
  ____  ____  __  __  ____
__    __    __  __  __    ____
  Start    1   0   0     1

To:
  ____    __  ____
__    ____  __    _____
  Start  1 0 0   1

Assuming the pauses between bits are 10ms, this saves 40ms per message.

The start pulse also conveys little information.  I imagine it is required
to trigger the start of your message receiving routine.  Would it work code
the first bit into the start pulse?  A long start pulse is a 1, and a short
start pulse a 0.
  ______  __    ____
__      __  ____
  Start1 0 0   1

One ugliness here is that the state of the input flip-flops after each message.

This results in a fairly significant decrease in the message transmission
timing.  Assuming the following timings (in ms).

      40  Binary 1, Start pulse
      10  Binary 0, Pause
      20  Binary 0 Start pulse, Minimum time between messages
      50  Binary 1 Start pulse

The average time required to transmit a message (two 1's and two 0's) is:

200ms - Start pulse with 4 bits seperated by pauses
160ms - Start pulse with 4 bits
130ms - 4 bits with start delay encoded into first bit

What version of the firmware were you running for your experiments?  If you
have the version 2.0 firmware did you try using the event mechanism?  Were
you running multiple tasks during your experiments?  What effect do multiple
tasks have on the reliability of your software?