 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 789
Re: PC -RCX comunication
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 12:18:54 GMT

Hi Jose, you wrote:

OK. I agree with you about open-source OS. I like linux, but I prefer
using visual programing in the PC side (Visual C++ o Visual Basic).

please, don't take my little attacks against MS too serious, it's just
-- i really dislike their FUD way of making business, and i like to have
a choice. However, i feel we shouldn't discuss this too much in this
place.

What about the QC examples?
I've seen a easy interface IROn, IROff, IRReady, IRSend IRReceive ....
I'm very naive in legOS internal, but will be easy export an easy (and maybe
low level) interface like the QC one?

Well, imho the legOS interface to do IR-communications IS really easy.
On the RCX, you just have 4 functions to do everything:

Broadcast lowlevel sending/receiving:
  lnp_integrity_write(), lnp_integrity_set_handler()

selective sending/receiving:
  lnp_addressing_write(), lnp_addressing_set_handler()

All things like switching IR on and off, making sure packets do not
collide, etc. is done inside legOS, you just don't have to care about.
Currently, the only problem i see is that even this simple API needs to
be a little more documented.

Exactly the same interface is available to your PC - applications, if
you use liblnp and lnpd, and even more easy: You can have several
applications sending and receiving simultanously via one tower,
completely transparent. The drawback: it is currently not available for
winXX.

If you're looking for a !FREE! open-source VC-like IDE for linux, i'd
strongly recommend to have a look at the Kdevelop homepage,
http://fara.cs.uni-potsdam.de/~smeier/www/

Another option might be the free version of Sniff+ for linux. It's not
open-source and has some restrictions compared to the commercial
version, but it's a really nice tool, also available for windows (
commercial version only 8-( ). You can get it at:
http://www.takefive.com/penguin/

--Martin