 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 67
Re: Debugging
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Sat, 20 Mar 1999 00:36:32 GMT

Matthew E Cross wrote:
Oh, you're doing stuff inside the scheduler.  Yeah, msleep doesn't work
too well there :-)

Try delay(). It's the non-scheduler version of msleep(). If you have a
version that's better calibrated, please patch delay() in conio.c to
reflect that.

The best I could come up with was to overwrite the instruction with a jump
to itself, and when the scheduler reschedules a task, it would check if it
was stopped on this instruction; and if it was it would tell the denugger.

A branch to itself is probably the best you can do, as you need an
atomic two-byte instruction. It is also sufficiently uncommon, except
for dead ends like while(1);, which should be avoided anyhow.

This could become mortally elegant, with minimum changes to the
scheduler:
#ifdef ENABLE_BREAKPOINTS
if (*(next_opcode_address_from_stack)==BREAKPOINT_INSTRUCTION)
debugger_breakpoint=next_opcode_address;
#endif

And the debugger does this (assuming it has highest priority):
while(1) {
debugger_breakpoint=0;
breakpoint_found = wait_event( debugger_breakpoint!=0 );

dir_write("Hi PC, breakpoint occurred at...");

// burn cycles so the interrupted task doesn't get to run.
}
}

Ah, but you're probably already doing that anyhow. I'm really looking
forward to your debugger!

A+, Markus.

--
Markus L. Noga noga@inrialpes.fr