 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 58
Re: Debugging
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 13:41:38 GMT

Lou Sortman <lou_sortman@servicemerchandise.com> wrote:

Matthew E Cross wrote:

Another thing I've done is write out a number where the upper byte
indicates a position in the code and the lower byte is some useful data,
and put a second or two pause after displaying each number.  It's kind
of a poorman's trace mechanism.

I did that too.  In my case, the lower byte was the priority level.
I assume the pause relates to work in user space.  I'm going to have to figure
something else out for use inside of the scheduler, since msleep depends on
timer ticks happening, and the interrupt is blocked while I'm in the
scheduler.  If I need it badly enough, I could poll the hardware timer and
wait for a certain bit to flip.

Oh, you're doing stuff inside the scheduler.  Yeah, msleep doesn't work
too well there :-)

Yes, the pauses were only so I could see what was going on.

Another thing you could do is print messages out the IR port; but I'm
not sure how it would interact with the scheduler.

I'm working on a debugger for LegOS that will allow you to suspend &
resume tasks, examine the registers of suspended tasks, look at memory,
and set breakpoints, all over the IR port.  But don't hold your breath
waiting for it - I just switched jobs recently and that is taking most
of my time :-)

Markus has planted a bug in my head with regard to suspending and resuming
tasks.  I can't get to it just yet because I need to get the scheduler
working.  It involves adding a suspend queue in addition to the run queue in
each priority.

Alternatively, you could just change tm_switcher() to ignore tasks that are
in a 'P_SUSPENDED' state or something like that.

I'll be interested in seeing if you can make breakpoints work.  I can't think
of an easy way with the available hardware.

The best I could come up with was to overwrite the instruction with a jump
to itself, and when the scheduler reschedules a task, it would check if it
was stopped on this instruction; and if it was it would tell the denugger.

-Matt