 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 65
Re: Idle process
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Sat, 20 Mar 1999 00:06:34 GMT

Lou Sortman wrote:
ID TO FROM LENGTH ..... CHECKSUM(16 or 8 bit? probably 16)

What is the ID?  Is it for framing?  Is it a byte that is not currently
taken up by a Lego bytecode?  Do we even care about colliding with Lego's
communication protocol?

Yes, it's a start byte. Jacob suggested using 0xFn to identify protocol
versions, 0xFF being the LEGO standard.

Tasks could register to receive messages from certain ports. But can
that replace suspend/resume? I think not.

Suspend/resume is a different subject, isn't it?  It has been suggested to
me that tasks could be suspended simply by changing their state to something
like "P_SUSPEND" (and changing the scheduler to deal with it).  That is much
simpler than the way that I had been thinking of implementing it (with a
separate queue for suspended processes in each priority level).  That's the
easy part, though.  First, we would need signals.

Actually, you wouldn't have to change much, just treat P_SUSPENDED tasks
like they're P_WAITING and the condition failed. suspend(pid) and
resume(pid) wouldn't really need signals that way, as the pid equals the
address of the
process data block - we could manipulate it directly.

I'd expect to wait for a datagram by doing the wait_event() thing.  Either
explicitly or wrapped in a function which also grabs the datagram from my
task's point of view.

Uh, what about datagrams arriving faster than the task can handle,
because it is low priority? We need buffers somewhere.

--
Markus L. Noga noga@inrialpes.fr
Check out legOS! http://www.multimania.com/legos/