 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 580
Re: Call for debugging support
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 01:29:34 GMT

Sorry to digress, but I just wanted to ask a question: is "equal sign B 4"
supposed to be a code for the apostrophe?  (They're not translating to
apostrophes on my viewer.)  How then would you make other symbols?  Does this
code reference some non-ASCII character set or is it HTML?

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Martin Cornelius writes:
"Markus L. Noga" wrote:
Hello everyone,

a while ago several people discussed decent debugging facilities for
legOS, possibly in the form of remote gdb support. Did work in this
avenue progress to something faintly usable already? If not, what are
the key problems?

hello Markus, i=B4m still working on a (hopefully) portable, robust
version of linux LNP, that allows multiple client tasks or threads on
the PC to communicate with one ore more RCX=B4s simultanously via one
tower, ( one of them could be gdb, in my imagination ).

The key problem here is linux/i386 deficient realtime capability --
scheduling with 100HZ is just a bit too slow to handle LNP at 2400 baud
-- with 4800 baud, it=B4s worse. I looked at recent versions of rt-linux
and KURT, and think both could do the trick, but i suspect most people
won=B4t like to patch their kernel for this reason.

I have a running version of 2400 baud LNP (on standard 2.2.13 kernel)
that looks pretty robust, even in severe contention circumstances, but
requires to disable hardware buffering of the uart. This can be done for
mainstream 16550A uarts on linux, but it=B4s not portable. I don=B4t like=

this implementation too much for another reason: it uses SIGALRM for
keeping track of inter byte timeouts and tower keepalive, and i think a
general purpose library shouldn=B4t use SIGALRM, if that can be avoided.

My currently favored approach is to use select() for everything, my
tests show it is not affected by the hardware FIFO of the uart. Of
course, this requires to run the select() loop in a separate thread, but
POSIX threads are portable, hopefully. BTW, can anybody tell me if WINxx
supports
select() and/or POSIX threads ?

Unfortunately, currently there=B4s very little spare time i can spend on
legOS, but after Xmas i=B4ll have 7 days of vacancy 8-).

bye, Martin