 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 509
Re: legOS IR comm and debugging tools
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 17:23:20 GMT

Martin Cornelius wrote:
the same issue. I'm wondering, if anyone has tried to run gdb in remote
mode on the RCX. Imho, this would be the perfect solution...

Yes, do follow this vision.

I've never ported gdb-remote to a new target, and neither know what kind
of communications link is required nor how big the memory footprint on
the target is, but my feeling says it might be possible, perhaps with
some restrictions. Anyways, i have a little experience in communications
protocols and try to explore that as soon as my knowledege of ldp has
grown a little.

See "info gdb", following the links Targets -> Remote -> Remote Serial.
The protocol assumes a serial line, using +/- for acknowledge/nak,
single character commands and hexadecimal addresses. There are several
remote stubs in the gdb distribution, the most complete of which is
sparc-stub.c.

Using part of this protocol over LNP shouldn't be to hard. Getting the
behaviour gdb expects exactly right probably is.

Have you got some ideas about how lnp is structured ?
I have some crude notes about the sensors and motors drivers which i
wrote down during the last couple of days, but it's all in german -- if
you'd like to see it anyways i'll send it.

The byte receive routine calls integrity layer, which checks for
well-formed packets, timeouts etc. Depending on packet types determined
from the header, these are handed on to a generic handler without
addressing (currently unused) or an addressing handler. The addressing
handler the destination address and forwards the packet to a port
handler, which does the processing. program.c contains one such port
handler for the download protocol. There's no reliable layer yet - feel
free to write one.

On sending, packet headers are assembled and checksums computed in one
step, then directly transmitted (after collision resolution delays, bus
hogging prevention etc.)

Hope this helps,

Markus.

--