 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 508
Re: legOS IR comm and debugging tools
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 00:04:15 GMT

Lorenzo Zago wrote:

Still it seems to me that any serious work with legOS (that is in
particular, work for which nqc is no more adequate) would require a
debugging tool by which one can survey in real time from the computer any
desired variable on the RCX.  Something like what we have in RcxCC for nqc.

Any proposals ... ?

Lorenzo, i also just started with legOS and just thought about exactly
the same issue. I'm wondering, if anyone has tried to run gdb in remote
mode on the RCX. Imho, this would be the perfect solution...
I've never ported gdb-remote to a new target, and neither know what kind
of communications link is required nor how big the memory footprint on
the target is, but my feeling says it might be possible, perhaps with
some restrictions. Anyways, i have a little experience in communications
protocols and try to explore that as soon as my knowledege of ldp has
grown a little.
Currently, i'm exploring legOS's internals by stepping through the
kernel code line by line. Unfortunately, i don't have as much time as
i'd like to work, or better say enjoy on this project. Just covered how
the sensors and the motor controllers work, the buttons, sound and lnp
are still on my todo list, Hopefully i'll get that covered during next
weekend...

Have you got some ideas about how lnp is structured ?
I have some crude notes about the sensors and motors drivers which i
wrote down during the last couple of days, but it's all in german -- if
you'd like to see it anyways i'll send it.

bye, Martin