 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 3908
Re: navigation and communication
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Wed, 8 Jun 2005 10:00:21 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Thomas Chesney wrote:
In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, John Hambas wrote:
Thank you Nathan. I think your link is really gonna help! Now do you know of any
way making the robot calculating its position constatly? You see i want to make
the robot send its position to another one so it can go there. Thank you again
for your help and any more help will be really appreciated.

(P.S. Alan from Australia, i've deleted your e-mail by mistake. Contact me
again)

In theory you can find position by having a 'giant pantone chart' on the floor -
a sheet of paper like the test pad with coloured squares on it, and use the
light sensor to detect which square the robot is on. Has anyone tried this? It
will be dependent on ambient light so it won't travel well.

Thomas

We have worked with a big chart with black crosses on a white wooden surface.
This works pretty well, since with the reflection of the light of the LED, black
and white can be easily recognised. Then the ambient light has not a big
influence. Only the the sensor must be within a distance of 5mm. The main
challange was to drive straight from one point to the other. So at every point
there is an adjustement was necessary.

Another idea for position calculation is a more sophisticated system: The
doraemon tool that runs under Linux and works with an image recognition system
and transmits the actual position to the robots using IR. Lately I found this
site that explains the system quite well:
http://www4.cs.umanitoba.ca/~jacky/RoboCup-ELeague/index.php
Unfortunately the regular brickOS posed problems and quite often reception of 5
messages per second caused the firmware to crash. Jacky Baltes has released a
modified brickOS and I am going to test this. If this does not work I am afraid
that we have to switch to Java, since this seems to work pretty well.

I know, that this second idea is quite a huge thing and needs a bit of work to
get the system up and running. We spent some days to get it to work. But if it
works, then this is an awseome toy ;-)

nathan