 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 3875
Re: BrickOS 0.9.0 success
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2005 01:03:44 GMT

Stephen M Moraco wrote:

Andrew,

   How fun to hear of your 2.4 success with brickos-0.9.0

   It is good to hear that this was possible.

   With respect to your next efforts I have news...

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Andrew Reid wrote:

    I have a Debian Testing ("Sarge") partition on the
same machine, and plan to test the 2.6 kernel and stuff
on that system soon.

    Both brickos-0.9.0 and lnpd-0.9.0 are now debian
    packages.  If these are useful in your next efforts
    and if you are willing, please report on your
    perceptions of them.   I'm interested in any/all
    feedback.

  Well, I'm pleased to report that the 2.6.10 (newest current)
kernel, with included legousbtower driver, worked well with
the tarball of brickOS 0.9.0.  I haven't tried the Debian
package yet.

  I noticed that on the Debian package page, the brickos-0.9.0
package is in "unstable", which means there is a small amount
of extra effort required to retrieve it, as my system is
mostly "testing".  It looks like the dependencies are
satisfied within "testing", though, so there's probably no
serious problem.

  I did have one small difficulty with the 2.6.10 kernel
configuration, the lego USB tower option is in "experimental",
which for some reason didn't occur to me.  I spent quite a
while trying to figure out why it wasn't appearing where I
expected it in the kernel config.

  Now, I just need some project ideas, and perhaps just a
smidgen more spare time...

                                -- A.
--
Andrew Reid