 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 3253
  Win98 installation of legos

Hello, I am having a problem trying to download to the brick after successfully building legOS on a Win98 system. When I try to execute firmdl3 legOS.srec, after setting up RCXTTY with "export RCXTTY=USB", I get "USB not found". I have already tried (...) (21 years ago, 1-May-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Win98 installation of legos

(...) Theresa, If you're using LegOS (not BrickOS), then I believe the answer is that you can't get around it. I don't think LegOS works with the USB tower. You'll need to go with a version of BrickOS (which doesn't yet have a cool install like (...) (21 years ago, 1-May-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Win98 installation of legos

Theresa, What version of legOS are you using? And what environment are you using under Win98; cygwin or winlegos (DJGPP)? And just wandering why legOS and not brickOS (which is a continuation of development on legOS with a name change to avoid legal (...) (21 years ago, 1-May-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Win98 installation of legos

Hi Ed, I'm using legOS-0.2.6 because it was recommended in Jin Sato's book and I was following his directions for installing. I suppose I can always upgrade, but if the only difference is in the name... I am also using cygwin. Theresa (...) (21 years ago, 1-May-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Win98 installation of legos

Theresa, (...) cygwin. (...) What version of cygwin? If you are using Cygwin B20 you should upgrade. I don't have his book so I don't know his directions. Paolo Masetti has several sets of instructions which I feel is a good standard set. There can (...) (21 years ago, 1-May-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Win98 installation of legos

Ed, Thanks for your help! I am using the same version of cygwin that you are. I made the changes you suggested in the two .common Makefiles and now firmdl3 doesn't complain anymore. It does tell me "firmdl3: delete firmware failed", though. I don't (...) (21 years ago, 1-May-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Win98 installation of legos

Theresa, (...) I have not experienced this error. I would suggest searching the newsgroup for "delete firmware" to see if others have. Ed (21 years ago, 2-May-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Win98 installation of legos

(...) This error indicate to you that communication is really bad or RCX have a firmware locked in memory !! Try to download the program with -s option like that (firmdl3 -s PATH/legOS.srec) Or try to erase firmware by erase RAM nanobapt (21 years ago, 2-May-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)