 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 3257
Re: Win98 installation of legos
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Thu, 1 May 2003 21:38:10 GMT

Theresa,

I'm using legOS-0.2.6 because it was recommended in Jin Sato's book and I
was following his directions for installing.  I suppose I can always
upgrade, but if the only difference is in the name... I am also using • cygwin.

What version of cygwin?  If you are using Cygwin B20 you should upgrade.  I
don't have his book so I don't know his directions.  Paolo Masetti has
several sets of instructions which I feel is a good standard set.  There can
be found here ...

brickOS
http://brickos.sourceforge.net/docs/INSTALL-cygwin.html

legOS
http://legos.sourceforge.net/cygwin/INSTALL-cygwin.html

My guess is that they are fairly similar.

There are several differences which I just didn't mention.  You can find a
near complete list of differences at
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/brickos/brickos/ChangeLog?rev
=1.29&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

Cygwin does have USB support. Only winLegOS (DJGPP) does not.  So your
environment is not the problem.  There was a known issue in the Makefiles
concerning Win98. In LEGOSROOT/Makefile.common and
LEGOSROOT/util/Makefile.common some checks are done to see what OS you are
using.  Win98 was not caught by these.  To fix this you need to add in the
proper Win98 constant.  In the mentioned files you should see the following

#
# Cygwin 1.1
#
ifneq (,$(findstring $(OSTYPE),CYGWIN_NT-4.0 CYGWIN_NT-5.0 CYGWIN_NT-5.1))

To get your Win98 constant use the uname command at the cygwin prompt.  For
example on my machine I get

emanlove@oemcomputer ~
$ uname
CYGWIN_98-4.10

emanlove@oemcomputer ~
$

So for my machine I would add CYGWIN_98-4.10.  You should do the same in
both makefiles (and any where else this occurs but I think it is just these
two spots).

Ed