 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 3091
  DISTRIBUTED/PARALLEL CLUSTER for legOS through n*RCX

Hi all. I'm taking a course on parallel/distributed operating systems. So this post attempts to find out if someone has thought, or has implemented some kind of distributed application over BrickOS/legOS (from now legOS, for this post). I know (...) (21 years ago, 15-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: DISTRIBUTED/PARALLEL CLUSTER for legOS through n*RCX

Just a question about this. Won't the IR airwaves will be a major bottleneck for most parallel applications? -Kekoa (21 years ago, 15-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: DISTRIBUTED/PARALLEL CLUSTER for legOS through n*RCX

Last year I built a robot which used multiple RCXs in the way you mention. I was building a sumo wrestling battle bot, and at some point ran out of sensor ports. For my sumo bot I'd built up some small abstraction layers around the sensors and (...) (21 years ago, 15-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: DISTRIBUTED/PARALLEL CLUSTER for legOS through n*RCX

Yes Kekoa it's a bottle neck, as I wrote on the original message, the main idea is to distribute the load, with the MINIMUM amount of network traffic. I think that all the RCX should be connected through fibre optics, in order to implement the (...) (21 years ago, 15-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: DISTRIBUTED/PARALLEL CLUSTER for legOS through n*RCX

Hi there, did some worh with rcx/legos/DSM in my thesis which can be found at www.cs.uit.no/~kenne.../Thesis.ps Although i didnt share the memory of each rcx, i installed a dsm server(created at the local university) on a notebook which each rcx (...) (21 years ago, 15-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: DISTRIBUTED/PARALLEL CLUSTER for legOS through n*RCX

(...) An interesting idea. Presumably a light sensor alone would suffice, as it could be switched between active/passive mode to turn the LED on/off. You couldn't get high bandwidth, but there wouldn't be interference. Also, this would take multiple (...) (21 years ago, 17-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: DISTRIBUTED/PARALLEL CLUSTER for legOS through n*RCX

Nick, What you propose it's another way, and of course, should work, but we might have to create another software layer over the current operating system of the RCX (of course, legOS), and we would loose 1 sensor per RCX. What I was trying to (...) (21 years ago, 17-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)