 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 3071
3070  |  3072
Subject:
brickOS with BricxCC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 20:44:53 GMT

So far I have heard from two people who have successfully used brickOS with
BricxCC.  I'm interested in whether anyone else has tried using BricxCC to
edit/compile/download programs to brickOS.

Currently BricxCC requires that the cygwin bin directory (normally
c:\cygwin\bin) be on the environment PATH.  Is that a problem for potential
users?  It seems okay to me, but I'm interested in your opinions.

BricxCC saves pending changes to temporary files when compiling NQC programs
but for various (good) reasons it compiles "in place" brickOS program so, by
default, any pending changes in the editor are not compiled.  Users who want
BricxCC to work the same for brickOS programs as it does for NQC programs
can turn on the "Autosave Options/Editor files" option on the General tab of
the Preferences dialog.  Does that seem like a major issue to anyone?

Compiler warnings throw BricxCC for a loop at the moment.  It handles GNU
compiler errors fairly well.  NQC and the LASM compiler do not output
warnings.  I've toyed with adding CFLAGS += -w to the makefile template in
BricxCC to turn off compiler warnings.  Obviously, the best solution would
be to handle whatever the compiler spits out in an intelligent manner.  Turn
off warnings or spend the time to make BricxCC handle warnings correctly,
what do you think?

Has anyone tried the Project Manager (multi-file compilation) feature yet?
I'd like to know if it meets the needs of users out there who have
multi-file brickOS programs.

I'd like to hear from BricxCC users what they think of code completion
(Ctrl+Space) and parameter completion (Shift+Ctrl+Space) support as well as
the new Procedure List (Shift+Ctrl+G).

Thanks in advance for your comments!

John Hansen
http://members.aol.com/johnbinder/bricxcc.htm