 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 3038
Re: BrickOS Threading...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 18:44:28 GMT

Steve,

I checked in some changes this morning (into cvs) to put the motor
controller back at the 1 ms interval.

However, I want to complete the get_sys_time() updates that Mark Riley
has proposed; so that can be tested as well.  I am not sure when the
next release will be packaged.  Hopefully I will be able to get those
changes in there.

Mark,

I will take a look at your function tonight and try to get it into
systime.c right away.  Maybe we can rig up a change that will cause the
"glitch" to occur more often (increment sys_time twice per tick, or
something)

// Joe

Steve Hassenplug wrote:
In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Joseph Woolley writes:

Steve Hassenplug wrote:

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Mark Riley writes:

The motor handler is only called once ever 2ms in
the latest version of BrickOS (as opposed to every
1ms in earlier versions).  This is a fairly recent change
and it could be causing a "granularity" type problem
with certain speed settings in your code.

<snip>

This change seem to improve things.  Can I change it back to the way it was
before?

Steve,  Yes, infact I had tested a couple different applications with
the motor controller being called every 1 ms and the same ones with a 2
ms interval.  I didn't see a difference with those applications, but did
recognize the possibility that it could have adverse effects.

I will take a look at the code again, if you want; and try to get it
back into cvs right away... if you wish.  It all has to do with the
timing of the interrupts and the placement of the code in the interrupt
handler (some code gets executed every 1 ms, other code every 2 ms.

In trying to balance an RCX on two wheels, every little bit makes a
difference.  I didn't think it would matter quite that much, but my robot
really shakes more with the new version.

Thanks for the work,

Steve