 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 3017
Re: installation of cygwin and legos/brickos
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Sun, 8 Dec 2002 12:59:02 GMT

John,

What version of legOS are you using?  Looking at the code below it seems to
indicate that you are using legOS ver 0.2.6 (unless in the newer versions of
brickOS we forgot to change a directory name).  I am also going to gues that
you are using Windows 98.  If these two assumptions are correct, then your
problem lies in that legOS 0.2.6 does not properly identify Windows 98.  I
have described the problem here on this newsgroup and within the new
development for brickOS the team has redesigned the "which OS is this user
running code".  This is done by creating a configure script which
automatically detects the cross compiler tools. This feature was added in
brickOS 0.2.6.08.

So you have two options.  First is to upgrade to a newer version of brickOS
which I recommend at some point.  But since it is in various stages of
development you might wait for now?

The second option is to make two slight modifications to the Makefile.common
files.  You will need to add the result of the command uname to a couple of
files.  For my version of cygwin 1.3 running under windows 98 I get the
following

emanlove@OEMCOMPUTER ~
$ uname
CYGWIN_98-4.10

emanlove@OEMCOMPUTER ~
$

If you get something different use that instead in the instructions here.
In the files /legos-0.2.6/Makefile.common and
/legos-0.2.6/util/Makefile.common there is a couple of checks for cygwin
versions.  The first is for the older Cygwin version B-20 and the second for
Cygwin 1.1(+).  Modify the second one (around line 50) by adding
CYGWIN_98-4.10 to the list of OS to check.  Thus that line shound look like

#
# Cygwin 1.1
#
ifneq (,$(findstring $(OSTYPE),CYGWIN_NT-4.0 CYGWIN_NT-5.0 CYGWIN_NT-5.1
CYGWIN_98-4.10))

TOOLPREFIX=h8300-hitachi-hms-

Do the same for the check in the file /legos-0.2.6/util/Makefile.common,
about line 25 as shown here.

#
# WindowsNT/Cygnwin, test against several values:
#
ifneq (,$(findstring $(OSTYPE),cygwin32 cygwin WindowsNT Windows_NT
CYGWIN_98-4.10))
EXT=.exe
CC =gcc
CFLAGS+=-D_WIN32
endif

This should fix your problem.  For those interested, the clue that to John's
problem was that the cygwin version was looking for cc and not gcc which it
should be.

Ed

John <john.ormerod@NOSPAM.virgin.net> wrote in message
I have previously reported problems in installing cygwin and legos, and • have
tried again to get this up and running.
I believe that cygwin is not properly installed and have included
information here on all modules included and error messages when I try to
make. Any help would be appreciated with this.

Having attempted 2 further installations of Cygwin, I have still got
problems running Cygwin specifically when attempting to build the example
programs. I first installed the standard list of modules suggested in the
download instructions but got errors which lugnet postings identified as • due
to the lack of Java (pcre) modules, so additionally installed these using
the installer (over internet). This still had problems so I decided to • start
over, and deleted all Cygwin folders and files, including the log files • from
the previous installations. I did not however change the dos path which
Cygwin had changed in the previous installation and I also assume that the
unix path would have been set up correctly as part of the install • process -
I did check using set and it seemed to have relevant entries.
I then reinstalled with the cygwin setup utility with the list of modules
below (at end of this posting)

On checking the Cygwin installation log file, the following comes up
repeatedly "compress_bz::error called"

I included the modules listed below, and now get the following errors when • I
attempt to build:

make realclean [- no errors apparent]
make depend [gives the following]

$ make depend
for i in util lib boot demo ; do make - --unix NODEPS=yes -C $i depend || • exit 2
; done
make[1]: Entering directory `/legos-0.2.6/util'
make - --unix -w -C dll-src depend
make[2]: Entering directory `/legos-0.2.6/util/dll-src'
cc -M -O2 -Wall -I. -I../../include/lnp -c loader.c rcxtty.c keepalive.c • ../../k
ernel/lnp.c lx.c convert.c srec.c srecload.c lx.c >.depend
cc: not found
make[2]: *** [depend] Error 127
make[2]: Leaving directory `/legos-0.2.6/util/dll-src'
make[1]: *** [depend] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/legos-0.2.6/util'
make: *** [depend] Error 2

$ make
for i in util lib boot demo ; do make - --unix -C $i || exit 2 ; done
make[1]: Entering directory `/legos-0.2.6/util'
cc fontdesign.c -o fontdesign -O2 -Wall
make[1]: *** [fontdesign] Error 255
make[1]: Leaving directory `/legos-0.2.6/util'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I am missing something, but cant work out what this might be. The install
process was followed closely, and all the required modules have been
installed. I would really like to get this going, to allow access to more
variables and faster execution, and would appreciate any help anyone could
provide.

Current Installed modules.

ash
autoconf