 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 2658
Re: Linux, Cygwin, DJGPP: what is it all about?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Tue, 18 Jun 2002 21:42:50 GMT

What needs to be done is to compile or create a H8 compiler that can run
under DOS or work with DJGPP.  AND THIS HAD BEEN DONE.

Never saw this link.

I don't expect too many people to find it.  It has been removed from legOS
homepage and I had to dig into some archives for the link.

So if we can repeat this or do what needs to be done to get it to work
then good.

Really? I thought the cygwin-system was the only system for Windows users.
But if one could use a DJGPP system, you get twice the problems for free.

TRUE, VERY TRUE!

User A can't help user B because one uses DJGPP and one uses cygwin. Won't
it be better to stick to one of both systems?

I think the simple answer to this is

"Windows users have two options Cygwin and DJGPP. Cygwin is more widely used
and supported by the windows legOS user community. But cygwin is more
difficult then the less-supported DJGPP solution. You make the choice!"

Please Note (for those not following this discussion) that at the current
time DJGPP only exist for an early version of legOS (pre 0.2.4) and not the
current version which everyone is using.

You have seen Steve's proposal to inculde a ready-to-run legOS.srec in the
distribution? If you have the time to do so, could you try what happens if
you build this with an other compiler/binutils then the user program? • Could
give a problem there if the linker information file (boot/legOS.lds)
differs from version to version.

I see your cautionary note here.  I know I don't have time to look at this
specific problem quite yet.  Also I am guessing that I would need upgrade
the DJGPP solution to the current legOS version also which is the "major"
undertaking for which I have less time for but am willing to investigate out
of curiosity at some point.

Ah, and I again want to say that the best solution would be a Linux disk.
:)

I really want to do this actually. But it is just a matter of time and money
for a drive.  I have consider putting it on an older machine but need to get
a KVM switch. Some day (and hopefully sooner then later)!

Ed