 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 2642
Re: GUI for legOS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Sun, 16 Jun 2002 09:59:28 GMT

Hello David,

For starters, a pre-compiled kernel ready for downloading would be
extremely welcome

What would it help?

Anyone that wants the source code to cygwin, pearl, the gcc compiler,
etc., can still get it - it's only a click away. But why *force* everyone
to have to do so?

Have you ever tried legOS? First, if you are running legOS from Linux, you
don't need cygwin and that kind of things. They are only needed to resemble
a UNIX enviroment under DOS. And the UNIX system is needed by the GNU
compiler.
You _never_ need the source code for gcc or cygwin, but you need the h8 gnu
toolchain anyway because you have to compile your user programs. Compiling
the legOS kernel is a proof that you correctly installed your toolchain and
the supporting programs. So I don't see a need for a ready compiled legOS
kernel.

Running generic h8 compiled programs on the brick is the fastest possible
way to run a program. The benefits in terms of speed a gigantic. But it is
not usefull for a new-to-c-programming user. LegOS is mindstorms swiss army
knife. Very usefull if you can handle it but it can cut ;).

By the way, I use legOS together with kate, the KDE editor and a makefile.
One can start the make process from inside kate, even download to the RCX.
This comes close to a full featured legOS GUI.

Regards,

Michael