 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 2539
Re: Powered Sensors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Wed, 8 May 2002 17:46:02 GMT

Ok, I have gotten myself confused again.  0-0.32mA represents a voltage
dropbetween 0 - 3.2 volts.  Therefore the voltage that the RCX "reads" on
theA2D is between 5 - 1.8 volts (1023 - 368 RAW)?  To get a reading of 0
(RAW)it seems as though you would need to sink 0.5mA through the sensor.
http://www.eece.maine.edu/~swinchen/images/poweredsensor.jpg  is a picture
that shows what I believe to be happeningbetween the RCX and an active
sensor.  This is a diagram from the "ExtremeMindstorms" book.

The voltage on the A2D will be:
     Vad = 5 - 10e3 * I
The two diode drops add to 1.4 volts, so the voltage across the 11K "sensor"
is:
     Vsen = 3.6 - 10e3 * I
Solving:  I*11K = Vsen leads to a currnet of: 0.17143mA (3.2857 on the A2D
=> 672 RAW)

But from Gasperi, "For Light sensors: Light=146-RAW/7 within the range 0 to
100."

Using the RAW value I calculated leads to a reading a of 50.  Not 61, like
the book claims.

Perhaps I made an error somewhere, if someone could just take a quick look
at it I would be gratefull.

First I am trying to see how the sensor behaves with a passive load, and
then I want to see what happens when I buffer the input, and start playing
around with voltages.  I am confused as to how the diodes don't play a role
when using an analog input.  It seems that they would throw the voltage
reading from the A2D off by about 1.4 volts.  Also, I am trying to figure
out the role of that 1K resistor.  Thanks for any help...  and if this is
not the correct place to post such questions, could someone suggest a more
appropriate place?

No, the RCX knows nothing about the diodes. That is why devices like the
light sensor only send a current signal in the range 0 - 0.32mA back to • the
RCX. This current then creates a voltage drop across the 10k reference
resistor with respect to the 5v supply.

By using a current signal rather than a voltage one, the unknown drop • across
the diodes doesn't matter as long as it doesn't exceed a certain minimum.

All the more accurate sensors mostly use this technique.

JB