 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 2534
2533  |  2535
Subject:
Powered Sensors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Tue, 7 May 2002 18:10:31 GMT

Hello all,

I recently purchased "Extreme Mindstorms - An Advanced Guide to LEGO
Mindstorms"  and I must say it is one of the best books out there for the
power user.

I have a number of questions regarding powered sensors.   First of all, when
the RCX goes to make a the reading on a powered sensor it drops the output
voltage from 7 to 5 volts, and then takes a reading.   Does the RCX take
into account the two diode drops (D5 or DG  and D1 or D2)  I would assume
that it must, otherwise when the leads are shorted it would still be reading
1.4 volts... which is not correct.   So I would assume that there is some
form of offset in the RCX or something?

also, in figures 10-5, and10-7 (in all the powered sensors for that matter)
what is 1K resistor used for?  it appears to be some form of current
limiting resistor, but from understanding of the internals of the RCX, there
is a 10K resistor in series with it.

If anyone can help answer these questions it would be greatly appreciated,
thanks.